Writers vs Authors

The terms "writer" and "author" are often used interchangeably. Both terms are technically the same, but I believe there's a difference. This is a short post explaining my views on this topic.


According to Google, the definition of writer is: "a person who writes books, stories or articles as a job or occupation." And for author: "a writer of a book, article, or document." Same thing, right?

But here's what I think makes the difference between being a writer and being an author.

Writers could be anyone. All you have to do is put words down onto paper. It doesn't matter what you write, you're a writer.

On the other hand, authors are people who are willing to work hard and grit through the tough times for their writing. These are the people who will do nearly anything to make their story as best as it can. It takes special determination a lot of people don't actually have. But therein lies the specialness of being an author.

You might feel weird calling yourself an author because you're young or unpublished or whatever other reason you may have. But that's okay! It's something that you have to get used to. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable calling myself an author, but as I keep going, I become more and more confident with my status. Yes I'm unpublished. Yes I'm young. But that doesn't keep me from calling myself an author.



~

So what do you think? There's nothing wrong with calling yourself a writer or an author or a tree if you really wanted to. The important thing is that you write stories and you love it.

Any questions or messages? Ask in the comments below. If you liked this post, be sure to share, subscribe for more content and eat chocolate! (Eat chocolate anyway.)

Comments