Dear Evan Hansen Review

Dear Evan Hansen. The musical is out. The book is out. The movie is coming out this September. And boy does this musical deserve the hype. 

It's a pop style musical, and I talked about it in my 10 Musical Recommendations post (which you should totally check out). This post is going to be formatted a little differently from usual. Instead of a LFTM or FC type post, this is going to be more like a review. Let me know if you enjoy this style. 

As usual, all spoilers will be marked, so no fear, Gandalf is here. (You can ignore the last bit. It rhymed and I thought it sounded cool.) More so than usual, this is a review, so everything here is simply my opinion. You can agree or disagree respectfully. 

Let's get to!

Disclaimer: Involves discussion of sensitive topics. Viewer discretion is advised. 


Enjoyability | ⭑⭑⭑⭑

Let's start off with the most important thing. Did I enjoy it? Well you can go ahead and smash that YES button. I was hooked from start to finish. 

The humour was on point throughout. I especially loved Jared's sass. We all need a Jared in our lives. The characters in general all had a solid form of humour. I love it. 

Connor signs Evan's cast and says, "Yeah, well now we can both pretend we have friends."

Obviously, my favourite parts are the low parts. There's something so satisfying about watching someone reach the lowest pits of their lives and climbing out -- or not. Evan really digs a hole deep enough for a well and what happens is amazing. For the audience, at least.

*spoilers* One moment that has stuck with me is when Evan is having a mental conversation with Connor and Connor asks, "Did you fall, or did you let go?" 

It's such a satisfying moment after all of Evan's insistence that he fell and Jared's jokes about climbing trees. It gives strong implications that Evan has been lying to himself just as much as other people. 

That was a moment that I probably should have seen coming, the foreshadowing was amazing. But because I didn't, it was a jaw dropping moment. *end spoilers*

Characters | ⭑⭑⭑⭒

Each character had distinct personalities. I felt they all fitted well together. Maybe some characters *cough cough Alana* were a bit on the nose and annoying, but it was realistic. Then again, when I find characters to be realistic, they're often voted unrealistic by most fans. 

I personally think they could have been more racially diverse. Alana seems to be a token character for the most part. From the trailer, they seem to be expanding slightly. Anyway, the cast I watched were all talented and embodied their character. Mad respect for them.

On the topic of diversity, I think we need more in areas of mental health and disability. These are also real problems that aren't getting enough attention. Both Evan and Connor struggled with a mental illness and that's something fiction should be more aware of. 

Evan says, "I mean, face it, would anyone even notice if I just disappeared tomorrow?"
Source: Tenor

One thing that stood out in particular is how each character dealt with grief. They reacted so differently, and not the standard fall to your knees and yell at the storm. This felt raw. Where one held on to hope, one held on to anger. Where one felt numb, another felt hurt.  

Special shoutout to Connor. *spoilers* He did treat his family like garbage, but the way they reacted also wasn't helpful. I understand where they all come from so I blame no one. Connor deserved better. The thing that annoys me most is that Evan was right there. They could've become friends and maybe learnt from each other. *end spoilers*

Plot | ⭑⭑⭑⭒

Summary: Evan, diagnosed with anxiety, longs to be found by someone and to get his crush. But a letter never meant to be seen and a lie never meant to be told throws Evan gets thrown from invisible to internet sensation. Soon, he has to make a choice to tell the truth and lose everything, or to live a fabricated life. 

I'm writing this a bit late, so I don't remember much of the plot. There's one thing that I want to say: The downhill descent and the little upward step at the end was...*chef kiss* 

*spoilers* When Evan first told the Murphy's the lie, I feared that he would tell the truth, be immediately forgiven, still have Zoe and live happily ever after. That didn't happen and I am so happy about it.

I think that Evan got what he deserved, losing everything. It's real because doing the right thing doesn't mean a happy ending. Sometimes, you really do get the short stick. Especially when you were the one who made it a whole mess in the first place.

The final scene to me was a truly happy ending. Evan didn't have what he wanted, but got what he needed. His growth was what I wanted to see, and I got it. *end spoilers*

Staging | ⭑⭑⭒⭒

There's not much to mention for the setting. It's a standard contemporary suburb. The only significant place here is the apple orchard. The symbolism that lies there is astounding. 

One other setting, if it can be called that, is the internet. The use of lighting and framing were genius. The screens that floated around in some parts were also really cool, and it had hidden meaning too. Who stands in front of it, who stands behind it, brilliant. 

Music | ⭑⭑⭑⭑

The soundtrack is SO. GOOD. They're bops. Look at these boys go.

A trio of boys do a jig together.
Source: Gfycat

The music is layered with breadcrumbs. While I don't think it's on the same level as some of the greats, it still stands on its own two feet. One song in particular is Requiem. The trio between the Murphy's highlights their emotions and thoughts perfectly. 

Let's talk about one of the best moments here. *spoilers* Evan starts out singing "all we see is sky for forever" but he ends on "all I see is sky for forever". The change, guys. It captures Evan's growth from living a lie to finally coming to terms with everything. *end spoilers*

Of course, we have the big two songs everyone knows. Or should know. Waving Through a Window and You Will Be Found. Go listen to them yourself. They're beautiful, even without context. 

Final rating: ★★★★☆

Dear Evan Hansen is wonderful. If you've never watched a musical before, this is a perfect starting point. If you are a musical veteran, this style is something new to the stage. If you are comfortable with the sensitive topics, you should definitely go watch it. 

While I don't love this musical as much as most people, it's on its way to become a classic. Let's hope the movie doesn't screw it up. 

If you've watched DEH before, leave a comment with your thoughts! Tell us all your favourites. Characters, scenes, songs, you know it. 

Come again next week for a Fifth Week Update. Happy authoring!

Comment + Share + Follow
(And eat chocolate)

Comments